Picasso saw the world differently from you and I. In fact, he saw the world in many different ways… all at the same time. Cubism – otherwise known as Picasso’s love child – was born from the idea that different perspectives could sit alongside each other on a single artwork. His unconventional, geometric works were meant to challenge the mind, challenge your vision and create different ways of ‘seeing’.
Picasso was (and still is) a superstar of the art world. Rather than letting his art do all the talking, Picasso used his celebrity status to dish out a few words of wisdom.
Read on to discover a few of Picasso’s best quotes:
- “I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.”
- “Art is a lie that makes us realise the truth.”
- “An idea is a point of departure and no more. As soon as you elaborate it, it
becomes transformed by thought.”
- “Bad artists copy. Good artists steal.”
- “All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
- “Art is not the application of a canon of beauty but what the instinct and the brain can conceive beyond any canon. When we love a woman we don't start measuring her limbs.”
- “Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar.”
- “He can who thinks he can, and he can't who thinks he can't. This is an inexorable, indisputable law.”
- “I don't believe in accidents. There are only encounters in history. There are no accidents.”
- “Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.”
- “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
- “Art is the elimination of the unnecessary.”
When it comes down to it, Picasso encouraged his contemporaries to break from the status quo and following their basic instincts. He was a free spirit who produced a body of work that continues to inspire artists today. That Picasso fellow must have been on to something!
Image: Claude Truong-Ngoc / Wikimedia Commons - cc-by-sa-3.0